Friday, June 5, 2009

to be his helper...


In March of 2007, I married a nice messianic boy. I never anticipated what an incredible blessing and an incredible responsibilty marriage would be.
Biblically, wives are called (in fact, created) to be their husbands' helper. So many take this to mean something that it does not, that the woman is somehow inferior to the man. We are created equally, but with different roles and responsibilties. G-d intended it to be that way, and in my own studies, I have found that He knows what He is doing! Being my husband's helper has brought me unspeakable joy, but it has been harder than I ever thought it would be. It takes much more than submission or a smiling face. It is more like an intricate discipline that must be practiced and intentionally executed. I am still learning...
Probably one of the greatest compliments I've ever received is, while holding a discipleship class in our home, one of the women told me what a good wife I was (and I thought to myself, "wow, have I got her fooled"), and then she explained that I "allowed my husband to be and to do what G-d has called him to". He is a teacher, a father, a son, an employee, a husband... and I am his helper. The most convicting book I've ever read on this topic is "Created to be His Helpmeet" by Debi Pearl, and though it seemed extreme at first, I found it very difficult to refute her using Scripture. The first question that captured my attention... "If G-d created a special woman perfectly suited to be your husband's helper, would you be that woman?" I want to be able to answer 'yes'. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment