Wednesday, July 8, 2009

awakening the dawn

One aspect of having a baby in the house is never really needing an alarm clock. Today she woke me at 5:30am to be fed, but she went back to sleep (and I chose not to). So here I am, awakening the dawn with the sound of this keyboard...


I love mornings. I always have, but in the exhaustion of not having a really good night's sleep in almost 8 months, I don't usually get up before Elisheva so there's not much time to savor what a beautiful time of day this is. Especially being awake before the sun, when the world still seems asleep and at rest. It seems like this is the closest we get to seeing the world at rest, at least for now. It's a beautiful time to praise HaShem for His creation and for all He has done for us.

Awake, my glory! Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn. I will give thanks to You, O L-rd, among the peoples; I will sing praises to You among the nations. For Your lovingkindness is great to the heavens And Your truth to the clouds. Be exalted above the heavens, O G-d; Let Your glory be above all the earth. Psalm 57:8-11


The first thing we do when we awake should be to praise G-d for giving us life for another day, as it says in the siddur: "I gratefully thank You, O Living and Eternal King, for awakening my soul within me with compassion; abundant is Your faithfulness..."


May we awaken the dawn with our praise of Him today. Apparently, I have awakened more than that: Elisheva is crying...









No comments:

Post a Comment